20100519

It's been a long time.

Ian Curtis died thirty years ago today, may 18th 1980. He left behind a family, friends and music that's touched the hearts of generations.
I was two years old when he died, and naturally I only discovered his music long after he was dead. But when I did, it touched me in a way little music ever has.

I feel like telling a little anecdote. The last time I went to meet my mentor at the university I was wearing a Joy Division T-shirt, with the closer cover on it. I entered the door and my mentor, a really cool guy, said "I bought that when it came out." He was of course referring to the album. I had known him for three years, and I naturally knew that we had some common interests, but I had never taken him for a joy Division fan. But in fact he had a really big collection of rarities and everything.

So we sat there and talked about Joy Division, and Ian Curtis and J.G. Ballard (also sadly dead now) and other such stuff. He told me that he had in fact seen New Order live, on one of their first concerts after Curtis' death, and that it was one of the most chilling experiences of his life. I can imagine.

Ian Curtis lyrics, and his way of portraying the world was unique. So heartfelt and profound. I will never be able to understand how a man as young as was could write those lyrics. It was like he had lived a thousand lifetimes allready.

Rest in peace Ian. Your lyrics have made our lives richer.

No comments: